“Digital Natives’ view technology as an environment, not a tool.” – John Couch, VP Apple Education.
This site will include educational tools for the integration of technology into the early childhood classroom. There will be editorials associated with selected professional articles that are related to instructional technology. A list of web links will be included for references to early childhood educational sites. Another list of professional resource links provides options for lesson plan development and ideas for resources. Scroll to the bottom to see the featured link of the month. Also, please complete the survey for my data collection.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Copyright or Copywrong????

How young is too young to start teaching students about copyright? Can Kindergarten students truly understand that it is important to cite sources? I believe that it should start in Kindergarten. As alluded to in the title, we can teach them the “right” or “wrong” way to “copy” or use others’ materials. I read an article titled, Kindergarten Copyright, by Rosemary Shaw at the Tech Learning website. It discusses simplistic ways to explain copyright to young learners, clarifies fair use, and gives examples of ways to teach citation with elementary students. I have also included a link in the "Student Links" section (in the side bar to the left) for an elementary guide for citation.

Photo from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Question_copyright.svg

3 comments:

Adams - Party of 4 said...

I'm glad you pointed out that even the youngest students can learn the basics of copyright. In one of my first classes for my degree, we had to do a project about copyright. One suggestion I really liked was to post copyright basics at computer stations and copiers. I would also recommend this as a quick in-service at faculty meetings. I found a really neat, eye-catching one-page copyright sheet that had it all. If I can find it again, I'll post a link.

Misty Rollins said...

I have to agree that I also believe kindergarten can be taught anything that you are willing to teach them. I really enjoyed reading the article in how they related the copyright concept to five year olds.

Ann O said...

This article validates what I have taught my 1st grader son about using sources. He already knows the basic fair act rules so it is never too early to start.